Lots of moms and dads worry about their kids playing phone games like Subway Surfers. In this article, we’ll talk about why Subway Surfers asks how old you are before you play.
Let’s take a look.
Why Does Subway Surfers Want to Know How Old You Are?
Subway Surfers always asks your age when you start playing. Does it change the game if you’re younger or older? Are some parts of the game turned off for younger players? Let’s see.
- If you’re younger than 13, you can’t use Google or Facebook to log into the game.
- Most parts of the game stay the same, no matter how old you are.
- Buying things in the game, and pop-up ads, don’t change based on your age. Some parents don’t like this because the ads might not be good for kids to see, and buying things in the game can cost a lot of money.
There are a few main reasons why games ask how old you are:
1. Keeping Players Safe
Knowing how old players are can help keep them safe. For example, the game can use things like parent controls or social restrictions to protect young players from any dangers of online gaming.
2. Age-Right Content
Some things in the game might only be okay for players who are a certain age. By knowing how old players are, game makers can make sure the game is right for players of all ages.
3. Following the Law
Lots of places have rules about getting and using personal data from people who are under a certain age. To follow these rules, games might ask how old you are to make sure they aren’t getting personal information from young players without their parents saying it’s okay.
4. Ads and Content for Your Age Group
Knowing how old players are can help make ads and content in the game better for their age group. Advertisers sometimes want to show their ads to certain age groups, and knowing how old players are can help the game show the right ads.
1. Is Subway Surfers okay for kids?
Subway Surfers is mostly safe for kids to play. There’s no bad violence in the game and it can help improve your quick thinking. To be extra safe, make sure in-app payments are turned off and the game isn’t connected to Facebook. There are a few reasons why it might not be perfect for kids, or why you might need to keep an eye on them while they play:
- The game is about a graffiti artist trying to get away from the police. This might make kids think it’s cool to break rules and might make them see police in a bad way.
- Pop-up ads could be bad for kids to see.
2. How can you keep kids safe online?
Follow these tips to help avoid any problems:
- Keep an eye on what your kids see online and who they’re talking to that’s not in their friends or school group.
- Be careful when using free online learning sites. Your child shouldn’t have to give their full name or a picture to use these sites.
- Check the privacy settings to keep as much data private as possible. Teach your kids how to keep their personal information safe, especially from people they don’t know.
- You don’t need to watch your kids all the time, but it’s a good idea to know what they’re doing online.
- Talk to your kids about strangers online. Let them know it’s okay to ignore people they don’t know, and they should tell you if someone makes them feel uncomfortable.
- Limit how much time they spend online for their mental health.
The exact reasons why Subway Surfers asks for age might change based on the game’s rules, the law, and what the game makers want to do. They ask for age to make the game safer and better for everyone who plays.
It’s also really important to watch what your child sees on the internet, especially if they’re under 12 years old. Try to make sure they’re using the internet in a healthy way so they can have fun and you can feel good about it.